The Shopping Buddy is a picture based shopping list you can use to support people with low literacy to be actively involved in their food shopping. This resource provides a template and instructions on creating a photo-based shopping list. Label reading targets for low salt, low fat, low sugar and high fibre ingredients are included on the top of the list. Price is to use with one person.
The Shopping Buddy is a visual shopping list that takes the hard work out of shopping for or with people with cognitive or psychosocial disability and their support workers. Photos of the food products are gathered and included on the resource.
Label reading targets for low salt, low fat, low sugar and high fibre are included on the top of the list.
Use the Shopping Buddy to:
- Be consistent the brand/s purchased
- Choose healthier products
- Improve shopping planning
- Involve people with low literacy in their shopping
- Lose weight
- Make shopping easier and faster
- Prevent shopping triggered meltdowns
- Read food labels
- Reduce impulsive food purchases
- Save money.
Who needs this resource?
- Aged and disability care support workers
- People with autism or learning issues
- People with intellectual disability
- People with acquired brain injury
- People with memory issues.
The resource comes with a template, full instructions and tips on using the Shopping Buddy are included.