We structure diabetes support based on the needs of each individual using a range of services that can include:
- Assessment and Report outlining an individual’s support needs for funding in a new NDIS plan
- Diabetes training of disability support workers, including administration and support of insulin and diabetes injectable medications
- An individualised Diabetes Management Plan to guide support workers to deliver quality diabetes care support
- A low literacy Diabetes Management Plan for people with intellectual disability
- Audio recording of the Diabetes Management Plan to increase accessibility of the information for the client and support workers
- Individualised low literacy diabetes education and picture based resources
- A quiz to based on the Diabetes Management Plan to evaluate knowledge of support workers
- Education session to introduce the Diabetes Management Plan and support strategies to the support workers
Integration of low literacy diabetes care support resources into Diabetes Management Plans – they work well for individuals with an intellectual disability and busy support workers!
Topics covered include when to see the doctor, what to do when levels are high or low, treatment of hypoglycaemia, how to check a blood glucose level, how to give insulin, lifestyle management of diabetes and more. These are useful for disability support organisations and health professionals wanting low literacy resources for their service.
A Guide for promoting good lives through healthy eating and physical activity was written in South Australia by Jayne Lehmann, Prof. Gary Wittert and other health professionals with an interest in quality health support of people with intellectual disability.
This one’s free when you click on the link below and save
We want to help you with your diabetes support needs. Please download the follow-up form below. Fill it in and email to email@example.com
If you have a complaint about any of the services provided by EdHealth Australia to, or on behalf of NDIS participants, our complaints process can be found here.